Monday, February 22, 2010

Running past the bus...

Awe hell, this morning I ran to work, in fact, I feel like I'm still running to work.

Despite having got here ages ago and having eaten and showered I still appear to be kinda sweating from the top of my noggin and I have that dazed contentment of exercise. Running in the morning is hard work though and running with a rucksack full of a change of clothes (although no alternatives for the ugly shoes), a towel and two library books that need to go back, first thing in the morning is tougher still.

My plan had been to get up at 7 and do the shorter of my two usual runs, allowing me to shower at home and then walk to work, or perhaps even catch the bus - it's important to use public transport as much as possible, 'use it or lose it', that's my motto; it's a conscience thing and nothing to do with laziness, of course. But after getting up, hydrating and eating some toast for carbo goodness I fell asleep again. This only left me with the dreaded option of the run to work, something I have previously resisted as my paranoid mind doesn't like to run where too many people can see me, especially pedestrians, as I think they're judging me and thinking that I don't seem to run much faster than they walk. I hate this part of my mind, it's a fool, but obviously it has much sway over the way I think. However, today this thought was bullied into submission by a part of my brain that is petrified of a scaly adversary with gnashing teeth and fiery breath that is bearing down on me. Last year that could have been a clever reference to the Lava Larva creatures we put in a game called Hot Wheels: Battle Force 5 (fight together to survive, dontcha know) but this year it's quite definitely an obvious reference to dragon boating, the festival for which is this Saturday!

The thing I can't work out is why the run to work proved so hard, even with the world's poorest capacity to weight ratio rucksack on my back it's all downhill! Perhaps running is more quantum than Newtonian. Hmmm... that must be it. Damn you Niels Bohr!

No comments:

Post a Comment